Life Science & Biotechnology
Comprehensive benefits package
Senior R&D Scientist (Algae)
Abercorn Sinclair is delighted to partner with MiAlgae as they seek to appoint a new Senior Scientist to their R&D team. Based at the Herriot Watt Research Park in Edinburgh you will join a highly ambitious, dynamic early-stage company.
MiAlgae applies leading advances in science and technology to improve food security and reduce the impact of humanity on the planet.
Founded in 2016, MiAlgae applies leading advances in science and technology to improve food security and reduce the impact of humanity on the planet. The company aims to eliminate reliance on wild-caught fish as a source of omega-3 by harnessing the potential of microalgae as a sustainable and rich alternative source. MiAlgae’s zero-waste solution recycles co-products from food and drink production to grow Omega-3 rich micro-algae, returning clean water in the process.
They value diversity in their team and thinking and are an equal opportunities and family-friendly employer. This role is predominately site based with consideration to flexible working patterns.
Reporting to the R&D manager, you will work as part of the research team contributing to the successful delivery of the company’s lab-based projects and supporting the needs of the Production Team.
You will be an active participant in team meetings contributing to various topics including, but not limited to, the standardisation of methods and processes, design of experiments (DOE), and presenting practical results and conclusions.
You will also help lead the R&D team in the lab, assisting with the preparation of media, maintenance of cultures, development of new lab protocols, and lab upkeep.
- Assist the R&D manager in the management and execution of projects
- Supervise R&D Technicians (serve as a Line manager to 2-3 personnel)
- Lead the preparation and delivery of core and R&D projects
- Support Production and Technical Development departments
- Contribute to the development of production and Quality Control procedures
- Assist with general lab maintenance tasks and additional biological projects
- Assist with product development
- Support lab administration duties including COSHH forms and risk assessments
- Manage, collate, and report data
- Support the training of lab personnel and students
Required experience and skills:
- Educated to Ph.D. level in a relevant life science or bioprocess discipline (e.g., Microbiology/ Microbial ecology / Biotechnology, etc.)
- Industrial experience (preferred), or collaborative industry-led academic experience, with a focus on biotechnology
- Fundamental understanding of microbiology and the challenges associated with the maintenance and propagation of pure cultures
- Experienced in leading and delivering projects within challenging parameters
- Demonstrable experience of supervision and development of research scientists
- Deep knowledge of data analytics and the deployment of solutions within a diverse environment
- Biomass production through aerobic fermentation
- The development of algal biorefineries
- Scale-up of lab processes, development, and optimisation
- Experiment design and analysis
- Biosynthesis of high value compounds
- Extraction and purification of high value compounds
- Expertise in biochemical assays
- Large-scale cultivation
- GC, HPLC, MS
As a young, early-stage company we are looking for driven individuals with a flexible approach to work, who are natural problem solvers and thrive in a dynamic environment. You will be an accomplished communicator with good business acumen and the ability to work independently. Ideally educated to Ph.D. level you will have some demonstrable industry experience in a related biotechnology field.
For the right individual, this is a unique opportunity to join an exciting biotech where you can play a key role in influencing their future success.
In return, you can expect a competitive salary with benefits, the opportunity to progress professionally within the organisation and to work with a team, truly committed to developing scalable, sustainable solutions.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.