Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
Scientist II (AAV)
Abercorn Sinclair is proud to partner with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio), as they seek to appoint a new Scientist to their cell-line development team based at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Edinburgh.
Established in 2001 and headquartered in North Carolina, they now have three European sites where they continue to advance genetic technologies and develop lifesaving adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapies.
AskBio’s co-founder pioneered the use of AAV almost 40 years ago demonstrating it could be cloned for therapeutic purposes. His ground-breaking research propelled the most exciting field in medical research today and their current clinical pipeline includes a range of central nervous system, neuromuscular, metabolic, and cardiovascular disorders with new research initiatives underway.
The research facility in Edinburgh continues to expand and we have several opportunities across the development teams.
You will join the rapidly expanding cell-line team engaged in technology development and innovation to significantly improve the manufacturing platforms for AAV gene therapies.
The ideal candidate will have a solid grounding in viral vectors, Individuals with specific experience and detailed knowledge of AAV would be of significant interest.
Skills and Experience:
- Preparation of adeno-associated virus
- AAV vector design, construction, and titration
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture
- Experience with a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as cloning, RT-PCR, ddPCR, CRISPR, assay development, etc
- Diligent recording of data; high attention to detail; experience with ELN and databases
- An understanding of hypothesis-driven experimentation
- Lab management, ensuring appropriate levels of control over scientific data, equipment, and materials, maintaining appropriate levels of documentation, record keeping, and procedures
- Collaboration with the broader team to complete project deliverables
- Interact with senior members of the research team to ensure appropriate experimental design and analysis
- Health and Safety and GMO risk assessments
- Innovative and natural problem solver; able to “join the dots” of disparate information
- Detail-oriented and able to perform precise work in the laboratory
- Confident and clear presentation of data, verbally and through written reports
- Effectively manage own time/workload to meet project deliverables with minimal oversight
- Motivated to learn and master new methods and techniques
This role could suit a Ph.D.-level candidate with several years’ postdoc experience, routinely working with AAV vectors. Due to the structure of the team, the nature of the role, and the current growth of the Edinburgh site, we are open to considering candidates with varying levels of experience. We would, especially welcome applications from individuals with a virology background in gene therapy development.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, rapidly expanding gene therapy company that has a proven history of developing highly effective, life-changing therapies.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the forefront of gene regulation and play a vital role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, bonus, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, on-site café.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.