Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + benefits
Abercorn Sinclair is delighted to be working in partnership with Biotangents Ltd as they seek to appoint several new scientists to their R&D team based at the Pentland Science Park, Edinburgh.
Biotangents are a young biotechnology business developing a range of diagnostic tests to detect infectious diseases in livestock. Based on a novel diagnostic platform, they are creating point-of-care devices to replace time-consuming centralised PCR-based testing.
Joining an innovative, multi-disciplined team you will work closely with bioinformaticians, molecular biologists, and biomedical engineers to aid the development and application of their nucleic acid diagnostic platform technology.
Your role will be to plan, design and critically analyse experiments to optimise the performance of their platform technology and apply it to different disease targets.
- Plan, undertake and critically analyse laboratory experiments.
- Manage specific research and development projects.
- Be proactive and inventive in devising solutions to technical challenges.
- Support and guide other members of the assay development team.
- Work to rigorous Quality Assurance standards with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Present findings and data at internal and, where relevant, external meetings.
- Embody their core values of proactivity, pragmatism, fairness, and integrity (see https://www.biotangents.co.uk/values for further details).
- An excellent understanding of molecular biology, including factors influencing DNA and RNA interactions.
- Sound understanding of factors affecting nucleic acid extraction from different sample types.
- Experience in developing, optimising, and troubleshooting nucleic acid extraction methods.
- Excellent molecular biology laboratory skills, including practical experience in nucleic acid extraction and qPCR (quantitative PCR).
- Experience working to quality standards such as ISO9001, GMP or equivalent within the pharma, biotechnology or medical device industry.
The ideal candidate will be educated to Ph.D. level with a focus on molecular biology, synthetic biology, biochemistry, or a related subject. Excellent communication skills and attention to detail are a prerequisite and Individuals with any of the following experience would be of significant interest:
- Simplifying sample preparation methods.
- Stabilising assay reagents for shipping, for example freeze-drying.
- Experience in molecular diagnostic product development and validation.
- Isothermal amplification methods.
- A sound understanding of the effects of various biochemical factors on the thermodynamics of nucleic acid interactions and enzyme kinetics.
As a small multidisciplinary team with a diverse set of challenges, you will have the opportunity to develop and strengthen your core skills but also gain experience in a range of areas outside of your direct role, such as manufacturing, collaboration with external partners, writing grant & patent applications, etc.
In return, you can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including pension, and flexible working. This is a permanent post based on a 37.5-hour week.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science & technology sectors.