Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
R&D Scientist II - (Expression cassette design)
Abercorn Sinclair is proud to partner with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio), as they seek to appoint a new Scientist to their product development team based at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Edinburgh.
Asklepios Biopharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, their commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, they’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Their therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Their gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
They became a wholly owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Their global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, they have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
You will join the product R&D team to develop the next generation of gene therapy treatments. The ideal candidate will have a good grounding in a broad range of molecular techniques and cellular biology, ideally gained within a gene therapy setting, you will be focused in the are of expression cassette design.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with mammalian cell/tissue culture, cloning, sequence analysis and manipulation, RT-PCR is essential
- Knowledge and experience of promoters, gene expression, gene regulation and transcription (expression cassette design)
- Experience with a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as cell differentiation, transcription profiling, assay development, ELISA, western blot, immunohistochemistry, transcription activity assays, is desirable
- Diligent recording of data; high attention to detail; experience with ELN and databases
- An understanding of hypothesis-driven experimentation
- Working in a GLP environment
- Lab management, ensuring appropriate levels of control over scientific data, equipment, and materials, maintaining appropriate levels of documentation, record keeping, and procedures
- Collaboration with the broader team to complete project deliverables
- Interact with senior members of the research team to ensure appropriate experimental design and analysis
- Housekeeping duties in the laboratory including stock management
- Health and Safety and GMO risk assessments
- Innovative and natural problem solver; able to “join the dots” of disparate information
- Detail-oriented and able to perform precise work in the laboratory
- Confident and clear presentation of data, verbally and through written reports
- Effectively manage own time/workload to meet project deliverables with minimal oversight
- Motivated to learn and master new methods and techniques
There is flexibility within the team to consider different levels of experience however, this role is likely to suit indiviudals with a PhD background plus a few years of industry experience under their belt.
This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, rapidly expanding gene therapy company that has a proven history of developing highly effective, life-changing therapies.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the forefront of gene regulation and play a vital role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, bonuses, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, on-site café.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.