Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
R&D Scientist I
Abercorn Sinclair proudly maintains its ongoing partnership with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio) as they seek to appoint a new role within their Cell Line Development Team, this position is based at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Edinburgh.
Asklepios Biopharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, PhD. Since that time, their commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio they’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Their therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Their gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
They became a wholly owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Their global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, they have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
You will join an experienced R&D team developing next generation stable cell lines used to produce AAVs for clinical gene therapy. The position is based at the Roslin Innovation Centre in Edinburgh and will report to the Senior Director of Cell Line Development.
Skills and Experience:
- Plasmid design and cloning
- Mammalian cell/tissue culture
- Production and/or experimental use of viral vectors e.g. Adenoviral, AAV, Lentiviral or others
- Experience with a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques such as qPCR/ddPCR, flow cytometry, Western Blot, RNA sequencing, nanopore sequencing etc
- Diligent recording of data; high attention to detail; experience with ELN and databases
- An understanding of hypothesis-driven experimentation
- Working in a GLP environment
- Lab management, ensuring appropriate levels of control over scientific data, equipment, and materials, maintaining appropriate levels of documentation, record keeping, and procedures
- Collaboration with the broader team to complete project deliverables
- Housekeeping duties in the laboratory including stock management
- Health and Safety and GMO risk assessments
- Innovative and natural problem solver; able to “join the dots” of disparate information
- Detail-oriented and able to perform precise work in the laboratory
- Confident and clear presentation of data, verbally and through written reports
- Effectively manage own time/workload to meet project deliverables with minimal oversight
- Motivated to learn and master new methods and techniques
This role could suit a recent PhD graduate or an MSc qualified candidate with a few years of practical lab experience.
You will join a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work with a business at the forefront of gene regulation and play a crucial role in supporting the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including a bonus, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, and on-site café.
Please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair for a confidential discussion.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.