Data Science & Machine Learning , Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
Machine Learning Scientist – (Computational Biologist/Bioinformatician)
Abercorn Sinclair is proud to partner with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio), as they seek to appoint a new Machine Learning Scientist to their product development team based at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Edinburgh.
Asklepios Biopharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a leading, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy visionary and pioneer, Jude Samulski, Ph.D. Since that time, their commitment to developing life-saving medicines that can potentially cure genetic diseases has never wavered.
At AskBio, they’ve built a foundation of therapeutic programs, AAV manufacturing, and a rich portfolio of patented technology. Their therapeutic focus includes neuromuscular, central nervous system, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases with clinical trials underway for Pompe disease, Parkinson’s disease, and congestive heart failure. Their gene therapy platform includes Pro10™, an industry-leading proprietary cell line manufacturing process, and an extensive AAV capsid and promoter library.
They became a wholly owned, independently operated, subsidiary of Bayer AG in late 2020 as a cornerstone of its newly formed Cell & Gene Therapy (CGT) platform. Their global headquarters is in Research Triangle Park, NC. Additionally, they have significant operations in Philadelphia, PA, Columbus, OH, Scotland, France, and Spain.
The Successful candidate will join the AskBio Bioinformatics and Machine Learning team. Working closely with their Principal Machine Learning Scientist, you will apply bioinformatics & machine learning methods to AAV capsid and gene expression cassette design (including synthetic promoter and other regulatory elements) as well as leverage relevant datasets to support business decisions.
Working as part of a team, knowledge sharing, and peer support will be vital to building novel bioinformatics tools and techniques critical to the development of successful gene therapies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Degree/MSc in bioinformatics/biostatistics/informatics/data science or other numerate discipline or equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong experience in developing and debugging in Python including Pandas / NumPy / scipy
- Hands-on experience working with machine learning frameworks e.g. Tensorflow, PyTorch, scikit-learn
- Awareness of good software engineering practices e.g. unit testing, CI/CD, version control, containerisation, code documentation
- Interest in analysing and interpreting biological data
- Effective communication of complex concepts and data to non-experts
- Familiarity with Unix-like systems
- An excellent track/publication record
- Doctorate in bioinformatics/biostatistics/informatics/data science or related discipline
- Demonstrated expertise in machine learning research
- Experience in methods to interpret machine learning models
- Experience analysing and interpreting biological data
- Experience in data visualisation
- Knowledge of gene therapy
- Experience in good software engineering practice e.g. unit testing, CI/CD, version control, containerisation, code documentation
- Experience with other data analysis languages, such as R / C(++) / Java.
- Experience contributing to projects involving global cross-disciplinary teams
There is some flexibility within the team to consider varying levels of experience however, this role is likely to suit individuals with a Ph.D. background plus a few years of industry or postdoc experience under their belt.
This is a great opportunity to join an exciting, rapidly expanding gene therapy company that has a proven history of developing highly effective, life-changing therapies.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the forefront of gene regulation and play a vital role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, bonuses, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, and on-site café.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.