Life Science & Biotechnology, Software Development /IT & Infrastructure
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
Lab Systems Engineer (GxP)
Abercorn Sinclair is proud to partner with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio), as they seek to appoint a new Lab Systems Engineer to their team in Edinburgh.
Established in 2001 and headquartered in North Carolina, they now have three European sites where they continue to advance genetic technologies and develop lifesaving adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapies.
AskBio’s co-founder pioneered the use of AAV almost 40 years ago demonstrating it could be cloned for therapeutic purposes. His ground-breaking research propelled the most exciting field in medical research today and their current clinical pipeline includes a range of central nervous system, neuromuscular, metabolic, and cardiovascular disorders with new research initiatives underway.
As the business continues to scale, they are adding additional support to their laboratory systems team.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology you will work as part of a global support team, you will support, lab system users and development projects across the UK, Europe, and the USA.
You will be responsible for the implementation and support of computerised systems utilised in the laboratory environment across AskBio sites while following company policies and maintaining GxP regulatory compliance.
This role will be the primary contact for issues related to lab systems and will work with scientific stakeholders to understand current lab procedures, define requirements for new laboratory systems, and identify opportunities for improvement. You will be responsible for building a strong collaborative environment across scientific groups, system vendors, and Information Technology.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Act as a key technical contact for AskBio laboratory applications and instrument systems
- Analyse and troubleshoot laboratory application and instrument system incidents, resolve problems, and implement changes according to defined SOPs.
- Implement, configure, and support complex laboratory applications and lab systems including system upgrades, business process updates and setting up users, roles, and access levels.
- Deploy new and upgraded hardware, peripherals, and accessories including IT and vendor-supplied PCs for instrument control and data acquisition or other instrument-specific IO devices.
- Support IT GxP compliance by ensuring compliance is prioritised in the maintenance of all systems and assist in the writing and execution of validation deliverables as required.
- Collaborate with scientific stakeholders and Information Technology to define new application and system requirements and develop an effective approach to integrate IT infrastructure and capabilities into the laboratory environment.
- Coordinate with application and instrument vendors by supporting new system installation, troubleshooting, resolving incidents, and maintaining and updating systems
Experience and knowledge:
- Strong understanding of IT networking concepts, infrastructure components, and best practices.
- Experience working in a GxP compliant environment.
- Experience working with major scientific vendors, such as Waters, Cytiva, and Thermo Fisher.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented setting.
We are looking for a natural problem solver with a continuous improvement mindset, who can help implement and drive efficiencies across the business.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level in a related discipline, (Information Technology, Engineering, or Life Science) and have several years of relevant industry experience, implementing and supporting laboratory applications and systems.
Individuals who have experience working with Empower, Agilent, and Waters equipment would be of particular interest.
You will be joining a small global team with the opportunity to work in a unique environment and be a part of a wider team that delivers life-changing gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, bonus, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, and on-site café.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.