Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive + comprehensive benefits package
In Vivo Scientist I/II – Gene therapy
Abercorn Sinclair is proud to partner with Asklepios Biopharmaceutical (AskBio), as they seek to appoint two new scientists to their in vivo team based at the Roslin Innovation Centre, Edinburgh.
Established in 2001 and headquartered in North Carolina, they now have three European sites where they continue to advance genetic technologies and develop lifesaving adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapies.
AskBio’s co-founder pioneered the use of AAV almost 40 years ago demonstrating it could be cloned for therapeutic purposes. His ground-breaking research propelled the most exciting field in medical research today and their current clinical pipeline includes a range of central nervous system, neuromuscular, metabolic, and cardiovascular disorders with new research initiatives underway.
The research facility in Edinburgh continues to expand and we have several opportunities across the development teams.
Having obtained their ASPA licence 2020, this team has grown significantly over the last 18 months and these are additional posts within the organisation. They are looking for experienced in vivo scientists, ideally with a strong industry backgrounds. The successful candidates will predominately be working with rodents (mice).
Skills and experience:
- Experience with mice perfusion, harvesting and collections of different murine organs and subsequent preparations for DNA/RNA and protein analysis
- Knowledge with qPCR, RT-PCR, ddPCR, and western blotting
- Experience with cryostat and/or microtome would be advantageous
- Experience in different routes of administration (IV), (IM), (IP), (SC), (ID), to administrate viral vectors, drugs, and other chemical reagents
- Working with wild type mice (CD1s, C57 blacks, BALB/Cs. etc) and/or with mice diseased models (neurological, neuromuscular, cardiovascular, haematopoietic, and metabolic genetic disorders) to utilise them as a model organism
- Strong organisational skills, able to deal with a large volume of samples
- A confident communicator both verbally and written
- Effectively manage own workload to meet project deliverables
- Motivated to learn and develop new methods and techniques
This role could suit a Degree/MSc qualified candidate with some demonstrable lab experience behind them, we are seeking individuals with relevant in vivo experience (dissection to analysis) within a similar scientific environment. Candidates from an industry setting would be of particular interest, however, we also welcome applications from individuals from academic institutes.
You will be joining a highly skilled team with the opportunity to work at the forefront of gene regulation and play a critical role in the development of future gene therapy treatments.
You can expect to receive a competitive salary plus additional benefits including, bonus, life cover, critical illness, health, pension, cycle to work, onsite gym, on-site café.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract solutions across the science & technology sectors.