Engineering Design, Software Development /IT & Infrastructure
Comprehensive benefits package
FPGA – Firmware Engineer
Abercorn Sinclair is delighted to be supporting QuEST-Global, one of the world’s foremost engineering services companies. Operating across 15 countries and employing more than 12,000 personnel they provide product engineering and lifecycle services to a range of high-tech industries including Aerospace & Defence, Transportation (Auto and Rail), Power, and Industrial, Oil & Gas and Medical Devices.
They have a growing Electronics, Systems, and Software engineering capability in the UK supporting customers in the Aerospace & Defence industry.
We are looking for experienced Firmware Engineers and have opportunities for both senior and principal levels in Edinburgh.
The firmware engineer would be responsible for the design and development of Firmware designs using VHDL and verifying designs using VHDL or System Verilog.
The firmware engineer would work closely with Systems, Hardware, and Software teams to provide firmware solutions and solve integration problems on complex systems.
- Creating innovative and robust VHDL-based designs
- Documenting and recording deliverables
- Verifying firmware designs
- Ensuring configuration management/keeping designs under revision control
- Providing progress reports
Skills and experience:
- Several years’ experience developing firmware using VHDL or Verilog
- Familiar with Xilinx / Intel (Altera) / Microsemi (Actel) ISE design flow and third-party synthesis tools
- Ability to analyse system and / or hardware level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements
- De-bugging firmware designs and supporting integration & verification at the hardware
and system level
- A good understanding of firmware version control and revision control software
- Good communication (oral & written) & interpersonal skills
- Experience in writing technical reports/ documentation
Useful knowledge and exposure:
- Familiarity with Mentor Graphics FPGA development tools including HDL Designer, ModelSim / Questa, and Precision
- Development of real-time, embedded, safety-critical firmware, preferably in accordance with RTCA/DO-254 DAL A or B
- Experience of firmware requirements capture and requirements management tools
- Experience of embedded processor cores (e.g. ARM) in FPGA designs
- Independent verification using VHDL or System Verilog / UVM
Please note: Due to the nature of the business all candidates must be eligible to obtain minimum Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BBPS) and SC clearance for these roles.
In return, you can expect a comprehensive package, structured career development and the opportunity to work with leading-edge technologies for some of the world’s key engineering companies.
For a confidential discussion please contact Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair, 07968 817387 – 0131-357-5993 firstname.lastname@example.org
About Abercorn Sinclair
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology and engineering sectors.