Life Science & Biotechnology
Competitive benefits package
Abercorn Sinclair is delighted to partner with MiAlgae Ltd as they seek to appoint two new Scientists to their R&D team. Based at the Herriot Watt Research Park in Edinburgh you will join a growing, highly ambitious, dynamic early-stage company.
MiAlgae applies leading advances in science and technology to improve food security and reduce the impact of humanity on the planet.
Founded in 2016, MiAlgae applies leading advances in science and technology to improve food security and reduce the impact of humanity on the planet. The company aims to eliminate reliance on wild-caught fish as a source of omega-3 by harnessing the potential of microalgae as a sustainable and rich alternative source. MiAlgae’s zero-waste solution recycles co-products from food and drink production to grow Omega-3 rich micro-algae, returning clean water in the process.
They value diversity in their team and are an equal-opportunities and family-friendly employer. They are open to considering a range of flexible working options and patterns with candidates.
Reporting to the R&D Manager you will work as part of the research team contributing to the successful delivery of the company’s lab-based projects and supporting the needs of the Production Team.
You will be an active participant in team meetings contributing on various topics including, but not limited to, the standardisation of methods and processes, design of experiments (DOE) and presenting practical results and conclusions.
You will support the Lab Manager with lab upkeep, assisting with the preparation of media, maintenance of cultures, and development of new lab protocols.
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of core and R&D projects
- Assist the Lab Manager in the management and execution of projects
- Support the preparation and execution of production runs
- Contribute to the development of production and Quality Control procedures
- Assist with general lab maintenance tasks and additional biological projects
- Assist with product development
- Support lab administration duties including COSHH forms and risk assessments
- Manage, collate, and report data
- Support the training of Lab Technicians and MSc students
Experience and skills:
- Educated to MSc/MRes/Ph.D. level in a relevant life science or bioprocess discipline (e.g., Microbiology/ Microbial ecology / Biotechnology, etc.)
- Experience in biomass production through aerobic fermentation
- Fundamental understanding of microbiology and the challenges associated with the maintenance and propagation of pure cultures
- Industrial experience (preferred), or collaborative industry-led academic experience, with a focus on biotechnology
- Knowledge of data analytics and the deployment of solutions within a diverse environment
- Experience lab scale-up, process development and optimisation
- Experience with Gas Chromatography (GC) operation
- Biosynthesis of high-value compounds
- Extraction and purification of high-value compounds
- Expertise in biochemical assays
- Large-scale cultivation
- GC, HPLC, MS
As a young, early-stage company we are looking for like-minded individuals with a flexible approach to work, who are natural problem solvers, and thrive in a dynamic environment. You will be a confident communicator with the ability to work independently.
For the right individual, this is an amazing opportunity to join an exciting biotech where you can play a key role in their future success.
In return, you can expect a competitive salary + benefits, the opportunity to progress professionally within the organisation, and work with a team truly committed to developing scalable, sustainable solutions.
For a confidential discussion please contact our retained partner, Keith Tocher at Abercorn Sinclair.
Abercorn Sinclair is a specialist, technical recruitment consultancy based in Edinburgh. We provide permanent, interim, and contract services across the science, technology, and engineering sectors.